Donegal rocked by further retirements from county squad

NEWS

 January 10, 2017
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

DONEGAL HAVE been rocked with the news that several high-profile stars will not be available for selection for the 2017 season.

Rory Kavanagh and Christy Toye, who have made 309 Donegal appearances between them, have retired from inter-county football, Donegal boss Rory Gallagher confirmed at a press conference in Ballybofey this evening.

Gallagher had been hopeful that the pair would be back for another go, but the experienced duo have ended their inter-county involvement.

“They’re big losses in experience,” said the Donegal manager, who also confirmed the departures of David Walsh and Anthony Thompson from his squad.

The announcements are really the end of an era in Donegal, following the retirements of McFadden and Eamon McGee in the wake of the All-Ireland quarter-final loss to Dublin in August.

The news serves as a blow to Donegal, who have seen Leo McLoone and Odhrán Mac Niallais opt out of the panel while it has since been confirmed that Thompson hasn’t returned to training with the squad.

Gallagher said: “We were aware of all of these situations coming up the road after the Dublin game last year.”

“We’re looking forward to new challenges. We talked about extending our term and that was with the new players in mind.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *