Glenea conceded to Cockhill as Rovers, Glengad, Greencastle reach semis


 March 12, 2017
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

The Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup Quarter-Finals took place this weekend with Letterkenny Rovers, Glengad United and Greencastle FC advancing to the semi-finals, while Cockhill Celtic get a walkover win as Glenea United conceded.

Drumoghill FC 1 Letterkenny Rovers 2

Paul Boyle pounced for a late winner for USL side Letterkenny Rovers away to defending Donegal League champions Drumoghill at The Moss.

The keenly-contested Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup quarter-final was heading for extra-time when centre-back Boyle struck a dramatic winner.

Drumoghill had beaten Rovers in the Knockalla Cup last year and in the previous round this season dumped USL outfit Bonagee United out of the competition.

Rovers took the lead through David Shovlin early in the second half.

Jay Dee Alawiye equalised for Drumoghill with 20 minutes remaining, but Boyle’s winner saw Rovers advance to the last four.


Clonmany Shamrocks 0 Glengad United 2

Glengad started this match well on top with Terence Doherty firing wide and Seamus Doherty seeing a free kick well saved by Patrick Harkin.

They took the lead on 11 minutes after Shane Caning found Nigel McMonagle who beat a defender and from a tight angle fired low past Harkin.

Midway through the half Canning fired wide from twenty five yards. Clonmany came into the game then and Steve Harkin twice fired wide before Harkin, Paul McDermott and Mikey Friel combined only to be denied by Matthew Byrne.

Glengad then struck for a second goal before the break when McMonagle collected a loose ball and fed Terence Doherty to fire home from 12 yards. Clonmany started the second half well and an Aiden Friel free kick was cleared away by Seamus Doherty.

Glengad responded and Nigel McMonagle somehow missed the target from six yards before Patrick McDermott had an effort tipped over by Harkin.

Clonmany created a great chance to get back into the game when substitute Mark McLaughlin crossed for Coyle but he fired wide from six yards.

At the other end McMonagle had an effort saved by Harkin while Clonmany had the final chance after an Aiden Friel corner broke to Paul McLaughlin but his effort was blocked and cleared.


Derry City Reserves 3 Greencastle FC 3 (Greencastle win 4-2 on pens )

Greencastle keeper Stephen Henry was the toast of Chapel Lane on Saturday afternoon, saving two penalties and scoring one as he helped Greencastle through to the semi finals of the Knockalla Cup in what was a fantastic game of football.

Greencastle eventually won 4-2 on penalties after the game finished 3-3. Greencastle could have been forgiven for thinking that today was not to be their day having led three times only to be pegged back by a young Derry City Reserve team.

Greencastle took the lead when Christy Hegarty latched onto a long ball out of defence and cooly lobbed the advancing keeper.

Derry City equalised after a period of sustained pressure resulted in their centre forward firing home from the age of the area.

Both teams continued to play football in the second half with Greencastle again taking the lead when the Derry Keeper dropped a looping cross onto the head of James Henry who scored with ease.

To their credit Derry did not give up and scrambled an equaliser in injury time when after a goal mouth scramble the ball deflected off a Greencastle defender and into the net.

Extra time was end-to-end with Greencastle going three two up when Matthew Henry fired across the box for Barr to hit an unstoppable shot passed the Derry keeper from 12 yards.

Derry kept plugging away and equalised for a third time in the 118th minute when their centre half pushed forward from the back and scored a bullet header from 16 yards to the top corner giving Henry no chance.

Unfortunately there had to be a loser with Greencastle progressing to the semi finals thanks to Henry’s heroics.



Glenea United P Cockhill Celtic P

This game was conceded by Glenea United. The Donegal League Premier Division leaders informed the Ulster FA late in the week that they were unable to fulfill the fixture, meaning Cockhill Celtic – the Cup holders – advance to the semi-finals.




Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup, Quarter-Finals



Greencastle FC 3 Derry City 3 (after extra time, Greencastle win 4-2 on pens)



Drumoghill FC 1 Letterkenny Rovers 2

Clonmany Shamrocks 0 Glengad United 2

Glenea United P-P Cockhill Celtic (Conceded by Glenea United)



4 Lanterns Ulster Senior League


Thursday, March 16, 7.45pm

Bonagee United v Fanad United


Sunday, March 19, 2pm

Derry City Reserves v Swilly Rovers

Finn Harps Reserves v Letterkenny Rovers