February 17, 2014

Two employees of a Donegal car dealership have refused to accept a compensation cheque from a former county councillor who attacked them – because the cheque is from their own employer.

Former county councillor Gareth Reid

Former county councillor Gareth Reid

Businessman Gareth Reid was before Letterkenny District Court today after previously pleading guilty to assault.

The 31 year old attacked the two men after he was fired from his grandfather JJ Reid’s car dealership in November, 2012.

Reid waited outside the Letterkenny offices after he was fired and attacked company directors Patrick McGinty and Alan Stoddard.

Mr McGinty was left with a bloody nose, a cut eyebrow and a sore jaw after being punched by Reid while Mr Stoddard was kicked during the attack and ended up on the ground.

The case was adjourned until today to allow Reid to pay compensation of €500 to Mr McGinty and a further €250 to Mr Stoddard.

However the court was told that the two victims in the case would not accept the cheque as it is a business cheque in the name of JJ Reid – the accused man’s grandfather.

Inspector Michael Harrison said the men are annoyed and feel that Gareth Reid has “not been held accountable for his actions.”

Defence solicitor Kieran Dillon said the cheques had ben signed for but they were not now being accepted.

“My client got a loan off the money and that is a matter for himself and his grandfather. They have taken cheques but they have not accepted them. It is an internal issue,” said Mr Dillon.

The court heard the victims now planned to go and see Mr Reid’s grandfather who had signed the compensation cheques.

Judge Paul Kelly said there was obviously an issue for the victims in relation to the compensation cheque.

He added that the cheque can be cancelled and adjourned the matter until May 19th.

“There is a very simple way of dealing with this,” added Judge Kelly.

* Gareth Reid arrived back in court this evening after securing €750 in cash to pay his victims.

His solicitor Kieran Dillon said he had a receipt which sowed he had withdrawn the cash from his own bank account.

Mr Dillon said as Gardai did not accept cash, he would write the two victims two cheques which he hoped they would accept.

Judge Paul Kelly then bound Reid to keep the peace for a period of two years.

He adjourned the case for mention on May 17th.