Window blind cords and chains can pose an enormous risk to young children and vulnerable people, and to raise awareness for this, The Public Health Agency has published a harrowing awareness video.
Warning: Viewer discretion is advised.
Blind cords can lead to injury, and can sometimes be fatal.
It only takes seconds for a child to lose their life on a window blind cord so the PHA urge parents to take the following steps to make sure your children are safe.
- Examine every blind in your home and if any blind has a cord or chain that is looped or could form a loop – make sure a safety device is used to keep the cord or chain securely tidied away out of their reach.
- Safety devices are available in the form of cord or chain tidies, P clips and cleats
- Do not place your child’s cot, bed, high chair or playpen near to a window blind
- Do not put sofas, chairs, tables, shelves or bookcases near a window blind as children love to climb
When buying new blinds, keep an eye out for blinds that are ‘safe by design’, such as cordless or concealed cord blinds.
Mum and dad Feliciano and Maria Saba, the parents of Bryan Saba, have been raising awareness for the dangers of blind cords after their son was accidentally strangled by the looped cord of a window blind in Portadown two years ago.
The PHA say: “Before you find yourself in a situation where medical treatment, help or advice is needed urgently, it helps to be prepared.”Tags: