Fahan’s ‘The Rectory’ is on the housing market and it could be yours for an incredible €1.2m.
Built in 1822, ‘The Rectory’ is a most impressive detached two-storey over basement residence of classical architecture. Standing on 1.68 Ha (4.15 Acres) approximately.
The house is entered through wrought and cast-iron double gates with a sweeping avenue leading to the front of this fine property.
This well-proportioned residence is laid out over three levels and is surrounded by mature trees and shrubs, enhancing its privacy and appeal. The interior of the house is filled with many original period features including marble fireplaces, centre rose, timber floors and original sliding timber sash windows and shutters.
(Video: Sherry FitzGerald Rainey)
Accommodation within ” The Rectory” extends to 539 sq m (5,805 sq ft) approximately and includes three reception rooms and six bedrooms. The grounds also include a four-bay detached two storey stone building and detached single-storey outbuilding.
The arrangement of the accommodation, combined with elegant room proportions, 11 ft height ceilings and an abundance of natural light lends this home for comfortable family living. The house is entered through a solid timber front door with fanlight. The main entrance hall with its decorative cornice ceiling and ceiling rose detailing leads to the principal reception rooms on either side.
These double fronted reception rooms with high ceilings and working marble fireplaces, offer large, bright entertaining rooms. The inner hall and staircase lead to the upper floor landing with feature centre glass roof lantern flooding the area with an abundance of natural light. There are six bedrooms, two ensuite shower rooms and a bathroom on this level.
The recently refurbished basement area, which houses a gym, pool room, numerous store rooms, could be converted to additional bedroom / living accommodation if desired. A formal dining room with an original cornice ceiling and centre rose, marble fireplace and high ceilings is also situated to the rear. A large country style kitchen with Aga Cooker is also situated to the rear of the house, as well as a utility and wet room shower.
This magnificent home has been lovingly maintained and cared for by the current owners.
‘The Rectory’ has been home to a number of Reverends since it was built in 1820. Rev. William Knox was probably the first occupant in 1822. Of note, Mrs Cecil Frances (Fanny) Alexander (1818-1895) lived here with her husband Rev. William Alexander in the mid 19th century, where he was appointed in 1855 to Upper Fahan.
* Ready to walk into presentation.
* Sliding, Georgian sash windows.
* 3.35 m (11 ft) high ceilings.
* Stone built period property c. 1820′ s with many original features.
* Highly desirable and sought after location.
* Views towards Lough Swilly and Rathmullan in the distance.
View the full listing by Sherry FitzGerald Rainey here.Tags: