THE European Boxing Confederation has postponed all of its European competitions until August.
The EUBC has postponed the Championship due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the competitions affected include the European Youth Championships, which will include Raphoe ABC star Leah Gallen.
The European Youths were due to take place from April 22-May 3 in Montenegro. Initially, the EUBC pushed that tournament back until mid-May, but European boxing chiefs have moved to shift all of its competitions until August.
Raphoe ABC welterweight Gallen recently won the sixth Irish title of her career. Gallen defeated Crumlin’s Shelby Myers in the Irish Under-18 decider.
The Raphoe star is already a two-time European bronze medalist. Having won a European Schoolgirl bronze in 2018, Gallen took a bronze from the Eurpean Youths last year and will bid for another nugget this time around.
The change also includes the European Schoolboy/girls Championships, which are to be hosted in Belfast.
“I would like to announce that following the spread of Covid-19, the security measures taken by European countries and your replies to the letter, in which we asked for your views on the EUBC 2020 Calendar, the EUBC Executive Committee has taken the decision to stop all EUBC Championships scheduled until August 2020, said EUBC President Franci Falcinelli.
“I firmly believe that this decision is necessary to protect the health of our athletes and coaches.”
The EUBC says it will monitor the situation on an ongoing basis.Tags: