THREE games in the Donegal Club Championship will go ahead this weekend – but will be played behind closed doors.
With Donegal set to move to Level 3 restrictions in the Living with Covid plan, sport in the county will be impacted.
The Donegal County Board say that the three adult championship fixtures slated for this weekend will be played with no spectators present.
That includes Saturday’s Intermediate Football Championship final between Cloughaneely and Aodh Ruadh. It had been expected that 200 supporters would be allowed in, but the game will now be played behind closed doors.
The same is true for Saturday evening’s Junior Football Championship semi-final between St Mary’s Convoy and Letterkenny Gaels and Sunday’s Senior Football Championship relegation play-off, with Milford and Dungloe crossing swords.
Games scheduled in the Regional League will not go ahead.
Earlier in the week, the Donegal LGFA announced that underage games under its banner would not be played while a similar announcement was made by the Inishowen GAA Board.
Finn Harps had hoped to allow 200 season ticket holders into Finn Park for Sunday’s big relegation joust with Cork City. However, last night’s announcement by the Government means the game will now be strictly bend closed doors.
“We urge everyone to follow public health advice, to stay safe and look after one another,” Finn Harps said in a statement.
The Donegal Schoolboys League has confirmed that all games under its auspices have been called off until at least October 16.
“As a result of the Government announcement this evening that has raised Donegal to Level 3 Covid restriction status, all fixtures within Donegal Schoolboys/Youth League must cease with immediate effect, until further notice, and for a minimum of 3 weeks (16th October),” the Schoolboys League said in a circular to clubs.
The Donegal Women’s League has announced a similar move.
“Adult amateur and non-elite Underage clubs in Donegal can continue to train under the conditions laid out in the updated FAI Safer Return to Training Protocol, pods of 15, non contact,” the DWL said.
“The Donegal Women’s League will continue to monitor Government guidelines for Donegal and will update this cessation order as required.
“From our understanding, the Donegal Women’s League U17 National League Team along with the Donegal U13 and U15 Gaynor Squads will continue in competition but awaiting clarification from FAI.”
The planned Open Cross Country Championship which had been planned by the Finn Valley Athletics Club for Sunday has been called off. The meeting was to see the staging of the first ever Donegal Fit4Life Cross-Country Challenge.
Finn Valley AC have also confirmed that a Throws Pentathlon, scheduled for October 10, will also be rescheduled.
Donegal’s boxing clubs have also announced that the, too, will have to shut down for the duration of the Level 3 restrictions.Tags: