A MAN previously arrested in Donegal is due before court in Derry today in connection with the attempted murder of an off-duty PSNI officer in 2015.
The 33-year-old man will be before Derry Magistrates Court today via video link.
On Tuesday afternoon, the man was surrendered to members of the Police Service of Northern Ireland by members of An Garda Síochána Extradition Unit on foot of a European Arrest Warrant.
It is understood that he is one of three men arrested in Donegal after a car was stopped by the Northern Regional Support Unit on the morning of June 18, 2015.
The man was wanted in Northern Ireland in connection with the attempted murder of an off duty PSNI police officer and possession of explosives with intent to endanger life.
A bomb was placed under the officer’s car at Glenrandel in Eglinton on 18 June 2015.
Detective Superintendent Michael Mullen of the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation said: “The extradition of this male re-enforces the strong working relationship between An Garda Síochána and the Police Service of Northern Ireland in combating cross jurisdictional crime across the island of Ireland.”
In March 2019, Lurgan dissident Sean McVeigh was jailed for 25 years over the murder bid.
A court found that he was the terrorist who tried to plant the bomb under the car before being disturbed.
The PSNI’s Senior Investigation Officer, Detective Chief Inspector John Caldwell, of the Major Investigation Team, said: “I would like to thank An Garda Siochana colleagues for their help in arresting the man by virtue of a European Arrest Warrant on suspicion of attempting to murder a police officer and possession of explosives with intent to endanger life.
“He will appear before Derry Magistrates Court via video link from Musgrave Custody Suite on April 21, 2021.
“The police investigation into this incident remains active.”