Decision on popular Donegal music festival deferred for updated Covid guidelines

July 9, 2021

A POPULAR Donegal music festival could still take place this summer, pending government advice on Covid-19 restrictions.

An application for a licence for the Buncrana Music Festival was moved at Buncrana District Court this week.

The event, organised by Barry Doherty of Notorious Events Limited, took place from 2017-19 with the 2020 version cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Organisers remain hopeful that the annual festival, which is held on the Shore Road, will go ahead in 2021.

Solicitor for the applicant, Mr Rory O’Brien, said the application has been made in accidence with national guidelines.

“He has acted as expeditiously as he could and he has engaged with Gardaí,” Mr O’Brien said.

“The application was granted for the last four years, but it didn’t take place last year. It was granted, subject to Covid-19 restrictions last year.”

Mr O’Brien said that all the event management plans have been Covid regulated.

Sergeant Sean McDaid asked that a decision be deferred until July 20 for updated government guidelines.

Judge Sandra Murphy adjourned the case until the July 20 sitting of Carndonagh District Court.

Around 5,000 people attended the Buncrana Music Festival in 2019 when top Irish acts including Hudson Taylor, Delorentos, the Hothouse Flowers, the Blizzards, Natty Wailer, Key West, Lavengro, Dont Fear The Natives and String Empire featured.

Mr O’Brien added: “Mr Doherty is happy to work with everyone to ensure a fun-filled and safe event.”


Tags:

LEAVE A COMMENT

error: Content is protected