As of today the EU will cut roaming charges for people living in the border counties traveling through Northern Ireland.
Deputy Joe McHugh has welcomed the move saying some roaming charges will drop by as much as half from today on.
“With the number of people travelling throughout Europe increasing, either for work, family purposes or just for leisure, there was a very high demand for a reduction in roaming charges.
“Many people living in border counties, who are travelling regularly, sometimes even daily, through Northern Ireland, this will have a very positive impact on their phone costs.
“Under the new charges, the cost of data roaming will be down from 40 to 20 cents per megabyte (plus VAT), making a call will be down from 24 cents a minute to 19 cents a minute and sending a text will go from 8 cent a text to 6 cent a minute.
“While there are still calls across Europe for the complete end to roaming charges across Europe, this reduction is a positive step and will help those away from home to stay in touch with family or reduce the costs for small businesses who need to travel for work,” he said.
A full list of the new charges can be found below –
• Type of mobile activity in the EU 2013 caps (before VAT) 2014 caps (before VAT) Decrease
• Making a call 24 cents per min 19 cents per min 21%
• Receiving a call 7 cents per min 5 cents per min 28.5 %
• Sending a text message 8 cents 6 cents 25 %
• Downloading data / browsing 45 cents per MB 20 cents per MB 55.5 %