The planning process to demolish Errigal College in Letterkenny and replace it with a state-of-the art new facility has commenced.
The current school building is to be flattened and will be replaced making way for a new school campus for hundreds of pupils.
A pre validation planning application has been made in the name of chief executive of the Donegal ETB, Ms Anne McHugh, was made this week with Donegal County Council.
Details of the exciting new plans for the school have not yet been released.
A decision on the pre validation for planning is due by June 21st next.
Errigal College has been located in the Cathedral Town in one guise or another for more than 100 years since 1914 when it was located on the town’s Main Street.
Numbers at the current secondary school building, which was opened in 1987, have risen considerably in recent years.
Former pupil Mr Danny McFadden was appointed as the school’s new principal in November 2020 replacing Mr Charlie Cannon who had served the school for 35 years.